Thursday, June 11, 2009

Better Photography


Photography of your item is key to a sale. When browsing through booths on Bonanzle, I have noticed washout caused by flash and brownish photos due to too much red. I have been taking photos since I was a child and have been told I have a “good eye”. However, learning how to use a digital camera and getting the right shot for internet selling takes time and practice.

You should set up an area in your home specific for photographing your merchandise. Through trial and error I have found that a white poster board works very well. I can set up three items at a time, take one photo, and then cut & paste to save time.

If the item is light colored I use a dark colored background so it shows up better. Also, I have noticed that some people stage items around the item they are selling, this can actually be distracting or misleading. A nice clean photo that is crisp makes an item sell faster.

If you go to my booth, you can see I still have a problem with reflection. When I took a photo of my silverplate items, I wore a pink top. Wrong thing to do as it reflected into my photo. Good example of what not to do.

Also, you have to learn how your flash works. Many times I actually turn off the flash to prevent the washout.

Regarding the redish or yellowish tint to your photo is caused by too much color in the room reflecting back into the photo. That is why I suggest using the white poster board. However, you can use your digital camera editing program to adjust the contrast, brightness, and color to remove the unwanted tints.

A photo that is out of focus has to be retaken. Adjust the distance from the item you are photographing. My worse photos are of jewelry because I have not mastered the distance I should be at yet. Sometimes taking a group shot from a distant and then cropping the photo actually works better for me.

Just remember the old saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” and enjoy selling on Bonanzle.

My Bonanzle Booth:
My Etsy Shop:
My Twitter:

4 comments:

Kim Caro said...

Yes it's true great pictures help alot

Jan Mader said...

Pictures do help!

I'm a children's author and just happened by your blog. I'd love to have you come visit me.

I have two blogs. This one about animals (that I'm writing from) and another about writing:

http://ignitetowrite.blogspot.com/
Hope to hear from you!

melissa said...

Very true! Pictures are the seller!

Melissa

Karen said...

Thanks for the info,...it's true good pictures are so important. They really make a difference. I have a lot to learn on taking them! Nice blog-