Sunday, April 13, 2008

Featured Artisan.....BeritNewYork

http://www.beritnewyork.etsy.com/
Name: Britney Frady-Williams
Business Name: Berít New York
Where are you located? Brooklyn, NY USA
What do you design and create? My designs vary from accessories, clothing, corsetry, to jewelry and even home décor. I love to create something out of nothing and I like the notion of not just creating but actually inventing new ways of wearing and seeing things.

What's your favorite part of the design process? My favourite part of designing is watching my creations take on a new meaning, letting them tell their own story. I don’t like being rigid with the creative process, but instead allowing a more organic method to take over, just like a painter who moves the paint brush with feelings and freedom.

How did you come up with your business name? My husband’s Hebrew professor introduced me to one of their friends from Israel as “Berít” instead of ““Brit.” I found my name to be more meaningful in Hebrew, because it means “covenant”, and it sounded like a good name for a design company, so that was that!

Where/How did this all begin? This all began a long time ago, when I was in my early teens. I did a lot of freelance design and modeling in Atlanta and since then people have said that I should find a way to put my stuff out there. I founded Berít New York to do just that.

Who or what is your inspiration? Jesus of Nazareth and biblical stories play a huge part in the inspirational process.I also take in a great deal from historical eras, particularly the Middles Ages, Byzantine, Roman, Victorian, and Edwardian periods. I am also greatly influenced by supernatural and fantasy themes.
http://image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.21380765.jpg
http://image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.15245010.jpg

No comments: